This past week-end, we had family gatherings on both my dad's side and mom's side. At both gatherings, Jared + I were put in charge of collecting money to donate to World Vision through their gift catalogue. Altogether between the 2 extended families, we raised almost $600 to help poor people around the world this Christmas. Awesome! Here are some of the things we bought:
Goat - $100
2 hens + a rooster - $55
Agricultural packs for 3 families which includes locally adapted seeds, tools, + training in crop management, irrigation, + nutrition - $35
Warm clothes for 25 children + their families - $35 (Most of us spend that much on just one article of clothing!)
Stock a medical clinic with $1400 worth of life-saving supplies donated by North American companies - $100
Deliver children from sexual exploitation in Asia - $75
2 mosquito nets that can protect up to 8 children from malaria - $30
Immunizations for an entire community - $100
I'm amazed at how a little bit of money can go a very long way to help change and save lives. We are SO incredibly blessed to be able to give to people who can't give back in a tangible way. This is what I've been looking forward to this Christmas! Thank you Lord for blessing us abundantly that we can give to others.
Monday, December 22, 2008
Blessed To Be a Blessing
Posted by Elleah at 11:46 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
That is cool! Good job guys!
Hey there!
I'm a new friend of Lynette's from our Facebook photography group (and also a Christian/cooking/everything group I started with some friends). Anyways, I was browsing through the blogs Lynette follows, and I just love yours. You guys seem like such a great family! So i hope you don't mind that I added you. Wishing you all a Merry Christmas!
~Nevella
btw, that is the gift that keeps on giving! At my old church we had the World Vision catalogue as well, and it's awesome how just purchasing something so simple (to us) as a goat or some chickens, can feed many people and help them become more self-sufficient. Thanks for this post!
That's so amazing! Who knew that so little could do so much.
Post a Comment