Yesterday, my Mom dropped by in the evening. She had some buttons on her shirt, so she was counting them with Kiera. My Mom said, "1, 2, 3." Then Kiera said, "4, 5, 6!" My jaw dropped as I had no idea she knew those numbers! It just proves that at this age kids are such sponges and you never know what they are "soaking up."
I read an article today called, "Faster, Earlier, Better?" It was about kids who are advanced in an area for their age and whether or not they did better later on in life. Basically the article said, "No, most kids eventually catch up to each other when it comes to skills such as walking, talking, reading, and writing." It also talked about how pushing them to learn something before they're ready doesn't help them, either. So, be encouraged if you have a child who isn't doing all the same things as someone else their age. Kiera's mobile skills still aren't as good as a lot of other kids her age. She's starting to climb onto things, but she still needs help quite often. She also still can't do stairs by herself: she can go up no problem but can't go down by herself. So she's a great talker but not a great climber. That's totally ok. The non-stop talking is sometimes a challenge, too, since she repeats everything about 50 times and sometimes it's hard to have a conversation with Jared when she's around. So, there can be pros and cons to both earlier and later development. Have a great week-end!
Friday, September 11, 2009
Another Surprise
Posted by Elleah at 1:46 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
That's crazy how she knows how to count already! Maybe a little accountant on your hands? ;)
And I've also heard the same thing with child development.
Yes, I guess it's true...things do kinda even out as they get older. I still say she's a smart one! I love her! Nana
I had a problem with my youngest speech. He couldn't say his 'L's'. I spent a lot of time showing him and teaching him how to do his mouth. Then we saw a speech therapist and she said that what I had done was actually not good for him. I should always repeat the word back to him correctly but not make him try to say it correctly. She said his brain and his mouth just weren't ready yet and by forcing it you can make them learn it wrong. She said that is why you see 8 year olds that make funny faces or contort their faces to say certain things. It is because they were forced to learn it before they were ready. They really do catch up and even out in the end. Don't fret!
Good for you that you realize there is no need to push her! I had the opposite "problem" with Eilish - she wouldn't talk. We ended up taking her to speech therapy, and although it was great for her, she probably would have figured it out in the end anyway.
As for Kiera not climbing - at least she is safe!
Post a Comment