CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, September 17, 2010

It's Been a Week

This past week has been a bit of a struggle for a few reasons. I'll start with a great story first. One evening this past week-end, I was going to plug in the night light that is on the way to Blake's room, as I often get up with him in the night. God spoke to me and said, "Don't plug in the night light!" I thought, "Well, what if I have to get up in the night and then I'm stumbling around in the dark?" God said, "Don't plug in the night light!" So, I left it unplugged and wouldn't you know it, Blake slept through the night! That was super cool.

A couple of days ago, Kiera suddenly decided to unpotty train herself. She was doing SO well with going on the potty and not having very many accidents, so I don't know what caused her to do a 180. I've tried everything that I can think of. Bribing doesn't work, disciplining doesn't work, words of encouragement don't work, me sitting on the toilet next to her while she's on her little potty doesn't work, reading books to her while she sits on the potty doesn't work, etc. I've been struggling with feelings of failure, but Jared assured me that it's not my fault and to not feel like I've failed because it is completely her decision. I read a blog of a Mom with 6 kids and she assured everyone that our kids will not go off to college in diapers. I'm just praying she won't go to Kindergarten in diapers either. This Mom also said that some of her kids potty trained as early as age 2 and as late as age 4. She advised that it's easiest to basically let the kids train themselves when they want to instead of trying to force them before they're ready. That's what we did with Kiera, so now we will wait until she is ready again.

I've also come down with a cold, which just makes everything harder. I've felt achy, and just generally yucky, with a throat that was scratchy, then sore, and now I have a cough that hurts my chest. Jared was gone one day from 7:15 a.m. - 10 p.m. with just a couple of short stops at home in between on the day that he had his college class. Thankfully, my Mom came over that day, so that was a huge help! I've really been trying to just turn to God throughout the day instead of letting my circumstances bring me down. I recently read about a Mom who has 5 kids and one of her kids has cerebral palsy and has a feeding tube and a breathing tube, and another one of her kids has down's syndrome. She herself has stage 3 cancer. Oh, that sure puts my teeny tiny problems into perspective! I have so much to be thankful for!

3 comments:

Jenene said...

I'm sorry you've been sick, and that Kiera is going backwards in her potty training.

But I'm glad you figured out something that helps Blake sleep through the night!

Jacki said...

No kidding, that puts things in perspective! I've also been finding Doug and Jan's sermon on spiritual warfare helping (did you get to hear that one?) When things start to feel overwhelming, I look for the lies that the Enemy is whispering and out loud say, "In Jesus name, I renounce the lie that _________" (E.g. the lie that I have the right to get angry when Josh is consistently difficult.) Makes such a huge difference, and also helps to put things in perspective. I wish I'd remember to do it more often, though. I too have a cold this week...everything seems so much harder when you're not feeling good, hey?

Mom said...

Someone said whenever they are going through a tough time they think of someone else who has bigger problems to deal with and that helps put things into perspective...just like you did with that blog you read. Great grace over you as you deal with the everyday things of raising your precious children!