I love where I live...most of the time. I mean, there are many things I could complain about like the fact that we got snow in May or all the elderly drivers who turn onto the road right in front of you so that you almost get into about 4 car accidents a day and they don't hear when you honk at them, but today I am choosing (as I should every day) to focus on something I really like about where I live. I took Kiera for a walk one day when the weather was nice and we thought that Spring had arrived.
Almost every person we walked by on the sidewalk said, "Hi!" and smiled. I LOVE that! It's so silly when we look the other way or pretend to be noticing something else and being all awkward as we walk by someone, not knowing where to look, which I have done too many times. Why not say a friendly hello? I guess it would be more difficult to do if you lived in a big city like New York where you walk by hundreds or thousands of people a day, although it might be interesting to try. So, I would challenge you, if you're out for a walk, to say hi to the people you walk by, if you don't already do that. Maybe you all already do that and it's just me who has to work on being friendlier to strangers. If we are to show Jesus to the people we meet, that is one small but great way of doing that! I know it impacted me. :)
Monday, May 5, 2008
Home Sweet Home
Posted by Elleah at 1:10 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Great thoughts! I really enjoy friendly people too, but I admit I usually wait to try and see how the other person will react before I choose to reciprocate. Though Landon usually takes care of things! He loves saying hi to anyone and everyone and if they don't respond (as lots of kids won't) he immediately asks, "Mom, why didn't he/she say hi to me?" while still in ear shot!
that is cool. that's one of the #1 reasons why i like where i live too. it makes me smile on the inside whenever that happans on my daily walks.
I totally know what you mean. There really is no sense being all awkward around strangers. Maybe it goes back to our parents telling us "don't talk to strangers." I always try and say Hi. I think it makes peoples days when you go the extra mile and open your mouth. And it always feels good when they say it first. But I have to admit I have just walked by with my head to the curb. Good thoughts Elleah!
Post a Comment