CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, May 12, 2008

Bye Bye Dessert (sob)

I just started going to a weekly womens' Bible Study at our church and we're doing Beth Moore's Believing God. I'm VERY excited about it and about getting into God's Word and learning and just seeing what God is going to do in each of our lives during this time. Today we all committed to either giving up something or changing something in our day-to-day lives for the next 9 weeks such as reading the Bible more or whatever we felt God speaking to us about. Earlier in the year, our church did a fast and Jared and I gave up t.v. and movies. Honestly, that wasn't very difficult for me because I really don't watch a lot of t.v. This time, God asked me to step it up a notch. He asked me to give up sweets. NOOOOOO!! It is one of my hugest weaknesses and it's one of the hardest things for me to give up. I've done it once or twice in my life before and struggled each time, but I survived (surprise!) and I know I can do it again, by God's grace. You can all feel free to ask me about it at any time to keep me accountable. I'm really not thrilled at all with this change in my diet, but to obey God is much better than satisfying the desires of my flesh, or in this case my tastebuds and tummy. "I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength." Philippians 4:13 That just so happens to be one of the 5 main points of our "Statement of Faith" as we go through this Bible study (Coincidence? I think not) and I have a feeling I'll be repeating it to myself a lot in the next while. So, if you see me arguing muttering to myself, then you know why. Strangers may wonder, but that's ok. "On your mark...get set...let go!"

6 comments:

Jamie said...

What a brave woman you are!

Jared said...

What? Elleah with no sweets?! Thats like a cat not licking itself!! (inside joke...hehehe!)

Allison said...

ooo elleah! that is going to be such a rewarding study, i'm excited for you :D but man, good luck with the fast. that would probably be a good practice for me to do sometime, too. i hope you are able to see God changing your life though this!

shinbone #4 said...

good for you!! we did this last year in our church and it was so good. I pray GOd draws you closer still :D

Anonymous said...

I did that for lent and it was amazingly easy!! And if you know me at all, I LOVE chocolate~ Since I knew it was a God thing, it was easy to pass up.
I would actually do it again :)

Mills' Memoirs said...

Wow, that is amazing. I would find that extremely hard...maybe I need to try depriving myself for a while too! You go, girl!