We decided we wanted to totally finish our basement this year and we've been trying to do it all with cash, but we don't have quite enough for everything. We can't afford loan payments and it was too much of a hassle to add onto our mortgage for such a small amount, so we decided to try to get a line of credit and then you're only required to pay the interest every month (we'll probably pay a bit more, though). We also don't want to wait a year since the next baby is on the way and we're hoping to use next year's tax return for a trip to a hot spot for our 5th anniversary. Our financial institution said they could give us an interest rate of prime plus 5.5% or something like that which ended up being over 8% on a line of credit. Jared said, "Nope. I can do better somewhere else." He called around and got approved at one bank for 6.5% and another bank said they do anywhere between 4.5%-6.5%. He e-mailed the original loans officer and said that he would really like to keep his business with them as he has done his banking there for most of his life and he's already been approved for 6.5% and would they give us a rate of 5.5%? I thought, "They're never going to do it," but I prayed about it anyway and left it in God's hands. They e-mailed back and said, "Yep, we'll do it. Prime plus 3%." In the meantime, prime dropped down to 2.25%, so now our interest rate is 5.25%!
So, the flooring guys came yesterday to install everything (we're doing part of the basement carpet and the rest vinyl). Jared came home at lunch and said, "Elleah, you need to come look at this." We went downstairs and they had installed the wrong vinyl! It wasn't what we had picked out at all! Thankfully they hadn't glued it down yet, but it was all cut out, laid out and ready to be glued. We quickly called the flooring guy we've been dealing with and he figured there had possibly been some mix-up with the shipment as there had been an Alberta tag on the roll of flooring, so it's possible our flooring went to Alberta and we got someone else's vinyl! He's not totally sure what happened, though. It actually kind of matched in the basement, but it was quite a bit darker and way different than what we had wanted. He said if we kept it, he would give us a chunk of money off, or we could pick something else and if it was a bit more expensive, we could get it for the same price. We quickly went in after Jared was done work and ended up picking something else that is more expensive, but we don't have to pay extra, so in the end it worked out in our favor! Now we just have to wait for them to order it in and we were really hoping it would be done today, but now we have to wait 'til next week. Oh well. On top of all that, I had 2 piano students quit yesterday because they can't afford to take lessons anymore (due to her maternity leave ending and she's not going back to work). I've had quite a week, including Kiera throwing many tantrums in the last 2 days, but I know a girl who had everything in her apartment ruined by a fire this week and she has no insurance, so my problems look really small in comparison. I'm actually not discouraged about all these things and I know that is the Lord at work! Tonight, I'm going to a girl's pajama + movie party, so things are lookin' up!
Friday, May 15, 2009
Flooring Fiasco
Posted by Elleah at 8:54 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Pajama party--sounds like a blast! Glad you're staying upbeat. Renos and all that goes along with it can be such a hassle, but the end product is usually worth it! Glad you'll be all done soon!
That's great that you can go and relax with some friends after a week like that. Hope your weekend is better
NICE!! I love that Gos is always changing little mix-ups that could prove frustrating into real blessings!
haha -by "Gos", I of course mean God - I should really pay more attention when I type :D
Post a Comment