CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, April 22, 2009

What's In a Name?

The "Name Book" that I ordered as an early Mother's Day present arrived on Monday, so I immediately started searching for names for our baby. There are LOTS of girl names that Jared + I both like and agreed on and at first, there were NO boy names that we both liked. For me, there aren't a lot of boy names that I really like and then the ones I do like either don't go well with our last name or Jared really doesn't like them. I went through the whole book 2 times and the 2nd time I wrote down all the names that I thought could be possibilities (including some of Jared's favorites). I asked Jared to stroke off the ones he didn't like and then with the rest of them, I made a new list that included all the meanings of the names. I think the meaning of the name is important...it's part of the child's identity. We went through the list again and I would ask, "Do you like this name or that name better?" and we slowly narrowed it down. I realize that our baby isn't due for months yet, but I like getting an early start on these things. I'm amazed at how much my taste in names has changed from when Kiera was born until now. I think we have settled on both a boy's name and a girl's name, including middle names for both! It's not carved in stone, but we're going to leave it for now. The boy's name isn't my favorite, but I think I can grow to really like it. Jared loves it, so I'll continue to pray about it and if it's the right one, it will be clear to both of us.

Kiera update: She has learned some more new words recently (of course). They are: honey, Poppy (that's Jared's dad), nose, Josh (her friend), and boob or boobie. She points at them, too, so she knows exactly what she's talking about. I'm sure one day she'll TOTALLY embarrass me in public with that one, but I'm not the kind of person to make up nicknames for the private body parts.

I'm going to take a poll: do you think we're having a boy or a girl? We're probably not going to find out the gender beforehand, but I think it's fun to hear what people think. Happy guessing!

7 comments:

Jamie said...

I can totally see you guys having another girl, but I'm sure that's because you already have one! I'd love it for you to have a boy because I think everyone should get to experience both genders. But I've never been good at actually guessing what it is (even with my own) so we'll just leave it at that!

Sheila said...

I'm totally with you on girls names being so much easier to find! Boys names are really difficult nowadays!

As for gender guessing, my immediate thought was boy.

Jacki said...

I'm going to say GIRL...but I need to be allowed to change my mind when you're in labour. Usually when I'm praying for someone in labour I change my mind. :) We had a CRAZY difficult time coming up with a girl's name...and didn't totally agree on it either, so it was good we had a boy! And it's crazy that Kiera can say 'Josh'! That's a hard one! (I loooove the boobie thing! Hilarious! I thought Ellie would embarrass us when she learned the word 'penis' - when Josh was born - but so far it hasn't come up in public. :) I think maybe if you don't make a big deal out of it, it's too normal for them to think of making it into a joke)?

Jenene said...

Well, you already know this, but for everyone else to see the guesses so far: I think it's a boy.

I've been right more times than I've been wrong when guessing the genders of babies, but it's still 50/50, so...

But just know that I will be happy either way.

Jared said...

I guess boy!

Mom said...

A boy would be nice...we need to even the boy girl ratio a bit in our family. But like Jenene said, another girl would be sweet too. I really don't know what to guess...but I will say boy.

Roo said...

i love that name book. i have it too!!