CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, April 27, 2009

Food For Thought

I've been given a lot to think about lately. Yesterday, we had a preacher from Africa in our church and we had more of an "African style" service. It was powerful! He is very passionate about Jesus and about stirring people up. He talked about how Canadian missionaries came to Africa to tell people about Jesus, and now it's the Africans' turn to come to Canada. It made me really think about how our culture has changed and it's not hard to see how it's declining all around us with the increase of addictions to all sorts of things, gay marriages, divorce, etc. I was very much reminded how the church in general nationwide (but not everybody) has become somewhat complacent in that we think we can't do anything to change things. I know I often feel that way when I look around me. I was totally reminded that God is bigger and that we have authority in Christ and we need to take authority over these things and be more aggressive in prayer. Very challenging + yet encouraging at the same time! I also know many people (friends) who are reaching out to others + helping them which is so awesome to see!

Our women's Bible Study is going through the book "The Bait of Satan" by John Bevere right now. Wow, it is challenging and good! It's all about taking offense and how it's a sin to take offense, even when we're mistreated whether someone does something deliberately or accidentally. Quote: "We walk in a selfish love that is easily disappointed when our expectations are not met. Unconditional love gives others the right to hurt us." Yikes, that doesn't sit comfortably with me! Today, he talked about Joseph + how his brothers sold him as a slave and then he got thrown into prison when he didn't do anything wrong. Before all that, he was given a dream that he would be a ruler and he obeyed God for over 10 years after that without seeing any evidence that the promise would come true. He had MANY opportunities to take offense, but when he finally saw his brothers again after becoming 2nd in command over all of Egypt, he forgave them + blessed them when he could have easily taken revenge. I would not have reacted the same way! Another thing he said was that no other person can defeat the will of God for your life except for you. He also said that when it doesn't seem like God's promise is being fulfilled, feed on His faithfulness. So, that's what I've been thinking about + learning so far this week!

3 comments:

Mom said...

Hmmm, lots of food for thought. The comment about "no one can defeat the will of God in your life except you", struck me. I think a lot of us are too complacent, thinking there is not much difference we can make. I need to be praying and believing in prayer a lot more! That is one way all of us can make a difference. Thanks for the post.

Anonymous said...

A friend of mine and I are doing the Bait of Satan. It is a very heart piercing study.

Leslie Puiras said...

There's a lot of great thoughts in there! I liked the part about "no other person can defeat the will of God for your life except for you." So good to think about! I'm going to borrow that one.

Thanks Elleah! :)