CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, October 11, 2012

A Piece of Advice That’s Sinking In

I’ve been told many times before, “Enjoy your kids now as they grow up very fast.”  I was talking with two of my cousins at our Thanksgiving family gathering this past week-end and I was saying how I was looking forward to my 30’s because we will be out of the baby stage, the diaper stage and my other kids will be starting school.  It will be an easier stage of life in many ways.  She said, “Yes, but I hope you’re enjoying your kids now.  They really do grow up so quickly.  My oldest is turning 10!”  I remember clearly when I came back from Europe the first time I went and she met me at the airport with a newborn baby in her arms.  Almost 10 years?!  How could that be?  For some reason, it just really started to sink in that yes, I should be enjoying my kids NOW instead of always focusing on the future and what might be better then.  So, I’ve been making more of an effort to spend time with them and just be thankful for the stages that they’re in.  No, I don’t enjoy their fighting, their whining, the poopy diapers, etc. but I can still enjoy them as people.  They each have these amazing, unique personalities and every day they make me smile + laugh.  In some ways, it’s been a hard week as both Haley + I have coughs and have been up in the night every night.  I’m tired but really enjoying them at the same time.  I actually missed them a bit when we went to Community Group (aka Bible Study group or cell group) because I’ve been taking the time to really appreciate them.  It’s a time of life that I only get to do once, so I want to do it well and not wish it away.  Those are today’s thoughts on life with kids.  Any other thoughts?  I would love to hear them!

1 comments:

Kathy said...

I read this quote last night and thought of your blog post :) ..."...It is the turning point marking the transition from a dreamy nostalgia for a better life to a rugged pilgrimage...from complaining about how bad things are to pursuing all things good." There will be hard things and good things about every stage of life and every stage of parenting. Some things might get easier, but other things will get harder. But we do have a choice to pursue the good.