CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Cereal=Manna?

A couple of weeks ago, Jared's favorite cereal went on sale: $2.50 for a box of Honey Bunches of Oats. Being the good Mennonites that we are, we figured we may as well stock up while they were at this ridiculously low price. When I got to the store, to my dismay, there was only one box left, so I bought it. Jared went back the next day and there were NONE left, so he got a rain check for them. They also gave him a coupon that said if you buy 2, you save $2.50, so essentially, it was buy 1 get 1 free! A Menno's dream come true! He went back to the store a couple of days later and came home with these:



















Needless to say, I'm getting a tad bit tired of Honey Bunches of Oats by now. It reminded me of when the Israelites ate manna for 40 years. Sad to say, I would have complained, too. Yet, many people around the world feel blessed if they get to eat one meal a day and it's not a 3-course dinner either. I should be thankful I get to eat as many times in a day as I want to, even if all I was eating was Honey Bunches of Oats!

3 comments:

Jenene said...

Send some over my way. Mom keeps buying cereal for me that I don't actually like. And beware of the cinnamon one: the clusters are quite large, and thus quite strong. I've kind of been eating around them. Finally, ain't no double standards here! I have been commenting more: on other people's blogs. So there!

Jacki said...

That is awesome. My Menno heart completely relates. The only difference between cereal and manna is that the manna went bad if you got more than a day's worth. Maybe your cereal will go bad and you can go get some cheerios when they're on sale. :) Yum.

Jamie said...

Funny! Good anecdote. Yes, we are way too thankless for our food and such. Why is that? We're so blessed and yet we just complain about how rough our lives are. It makes me sad and guilty. I think I'll go thank God right now for every single thing in my house!