CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

A Warm Bowl of Soup on a Cold Winter Day

I had a couple of friends request on Facebook that I start posting my recipes on my blog.  So, in case you’re wondering what I’ve been eating or looking for some new recipes, I will be putting them on here maybe once a week or so.  I make my own soup for lunch almost every day and one of my favorite ones so far has been this one.  I can’t say that I absolutely love broccoli, but I love this recipe!

Cream of Broccoli Soup

-1 onion, chopped (I don’t like onions, but I like green onions in little pieces, so that’s what I used)

-1 clove garlic (I just did 1 tsp. garlic powder)

-3 cups chicken broth

-1 stalk celery, diced

-3 cups chopped broccoli (you could also cook the vegetables separately and then put them in the blender if you want a thicker soup)

-1 tsp. basil

-Pepper to taste

 

Cook separately:

-2 tbsp. butter (I used olive oil)

-3 tbsp. flour (I used white rice flour)

-2 cups milk (I used almond milk)

Bring those 3 ingredients to a boil so it forms a roux (a thick sauce), then add it to the soup.  Voila!  You could also add cheese to it, as cheese makes almost everything more tasty.  I’m not sure yet if I can eat cheese.  I’m planning to try this week and I pray it goes well!

Cream of Broccoli soup

Thankfully, Blake usually naps around lunchtime, so that frees me up to cut up all the vegetables for my soups during that time, as it can be time-consuming.  I don’t really like vegetables, but I’ve actually really been enjoying them in my soups!

2 comments:

Sheila said...

Mmm looks yummy! I'm the same way, because I don't really care for many vegetables either, but in soup I can eat them so much easier!

Kat said...

I may have to try that - I usually hate vegetables but for some reason I will eat them if they're in a soup :)