CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, January 3, 2011

Starting the New Year In a Battle

I went to the Naturopath doctor last week Thursday and she was really nice.  I’m going to get my stool tested, which isn’t fun.  It’s like playing with your poop, smearing it and putting it in different containers.  Anyway, along with that, I got put on fairly strict diet, which I expected would happen. 

Things I Can’t Eat:

-Wheat or anything containing gluten

-Anything with soy

-Peanuts + peanut butter

-Red meat, deli meats, and canned meats

-Anything with dairy or eggs

-Margarine, butter, mayonnaise

-Pop, alcohol, coffee

-Chocolate, ketchup, bbq sauce, all other condiments

-White or brown sugar, honey, syrup

 

Things I Can Eat:

-All fruits except oranges

-All fruit juices except orange juice

-All vegetables except corn or anything creamed

-Rice, oats, anything made with rice flour, millet, buckwheat

-Potatoes

-Almonds, cashews

-Chicken, turkey, lamb, fresh, frozen, or canned fish

-Rice milk, almond milk, coconut milk, egg substitutes

-Olive oil, canola oil, flaxseed oil, sesame oil

-Water, decaf herbal tea

-Vinegar, all spices including salt

 

It’s a daily battle for me to not be jealous of most other people who can eat all kinds of food that I can’t.  I’ve also been concerned that friends + family aren’t going to want to have us over, especially for a meal, with my strict diet.  I know it’s such a stupid thing to be concerned about, but those relationships are really important to me.  I’ve been bringing my own snacks with me when we go out in the evenings and that’s been good.  I was sitting and praying about it this morning and God spoke to me and I just started crying.  He told me He already knew this was going to happen and He wants to use it to increase my faith.  It’s a mental battle as much as it is a physical one, to turn my worries over to Him every day, multiple times a day, while not knowing what’s wrong and not knowing if something can or will fix it.  I know I can trust Him and every day I pray for healing.  I REALLY don’t want this to be a very long-term thing.  He knows.  If you think of me, I wouldn’t mind some prayers! :)

I’ve been on this diet for 4 days and for the most part, I feel better.  It had gotten to the point where I felt gross almost all the time and I would eat 3 bites of food and then would have to stop because I felt so gross.  I often couldn’t even finish a meal or sometimes even half a meal.  I also had stomach pain.  Now, my appetite is back to normal and most of the time, I feel good.  My main symptom, though, has not improved.  I still have much to be thankful for.  My Grandma is on an even stricter diet, plus she has to put anything she eats into the blender first.  We never have to look far to find someone going through much worse.  I was reminded of this verse today: Romans 8:18 “I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us.”  I have an eternity of perfect health to look forward to!  That may not change my symptoms right now, but it sure does change my perspective! 

3 comments:

Jen & Andy Plett said...

Boy do I know how you feel Elleah!
I am blessed to NOT have health issues, but when it comes to being on a diet, eating is not always easy.
People do NOT understand you and the situation you are in. And they will not necesarily try either (to understand). This is why I provide my own food when I know I will be tempted or be in a difficult situation or I just avoid it altogether and not go wherever food will be served. Peer pressure does not make things any easier either (thankfully you can blame it all on health, while those of us that are dieting get brushed off).
So I know what you are going through Elleah, and I pray that Go will provide you with answers.

Mom said...

Elleah I do believe you will get healed...however I think you and I will both agree that your diet before wasn't as healthy as it could have been. I do stand with you for healing. And while you are in the thick of things I pray for wisdom as to what to eat and what not, for peace, grace, and strength in the midst of this storm! I also pray for wisdom for the doctor treating you.

Allison said...

I understand how you feel but in a little different way. My bipolar struggle has been long and is hard. But there is always someone worse off and we do have lots to be thankful for. I believe sharing is a good thing, so we can pray for each other. There are so many women going through so much right now. But God is here with us. And He is moving in closer. Good things to those who trust in Him. Thinking of you and praying!