CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, January 21, 2010

The Last Day

Our church has been doing 3 weeks of fasting and praying since January 1st. Today is the last day and man, I am SO happy about that! Jared + I both wanted to pick something that would be a challenge for us, so he fasted caffeinated beverages (which for him would be mostly coffee + Pepsi). I chose sweets. It was very hard, especially the last week, but we have made it by the grace of God. At first, we weren't sure what to pray for, so we asked God to put something on our hearts. Jared decided to pray for our family's health. He basically had a cold for almost 2 months straight since Blake was born and Kiera + I both got sick with colds right after New Year's and our colds lasted 2 weeks. I'm very happy to say that we are all healthy now, so praise the Lord for answered prayer! I had 3 of my relatives on my heart since Christmas, so I decided to pray that they would turn back to Jesus and live for Him. The fast may be over tomorrow, but I will continue to pray for however long it takes. We have apple pie sitting on our counter that we bought for when we had company earlier this week and there's caramel ice cream sitting in the freezer that has been calling my name! I ate Ritz crackers while Jared + our friends ate the pie and ice cream. I tried to convince myself that the crackers were just as good, but it didn't really work. Every time I wanted sweets, I would remind myself that my relatives' salvations would be totally worth not eating sweets and so then I would pray for them. God also reminded me that Jesus gave up his life for us, so me giving up sweets is so tiny in comparison. I'm kind of tempted to eat the pie for breakfast. We''ll see if I can make it 'til lunch!

2 comments:

Mom said...

You're funny. Congrats to sticking to your fast, but more importantly don't give up on praying! I hope you don't overdue the sugar consumption now that it's "legal"!

Roo said...

way to go elleah!! that would be hard for me too...the caffienated beverages AND the sugar. hmmm...maybe i need to do that though.