Last week, Jared went to the store for me and picked up a few groceries. One of the items was a 4-litre jug of milk. The next morning, I was pouring my cereal and happened to glance at the expiry date. It expired that very day! My dear husband had forgotten to check the expiry date when buying the milk. I searched all over for the receipt in hopes of returning or exchanging it, but I couldn't find the receipt. I thought, "What am I going to do with all of this milk? Pouring it all out would be such a waste! What uses quite a bit of milk? Pudding!" So, I went to the store and bought 4 boxes of pudding: chocolate, vanilla, butterscotch, and cookies + cream. I figured that was a lot of pudding for just our family. Then I was thinking, "I wonder how many of my neighbors are on their way to hell and I'm just sitting here cozy in my house not doing anything about it?" Not exactly warm fuzzy thoughts, but God was speaking to me again. I decided that I would bring desserts to 3 of my neighbors. I checked our cupboards and we had exactly 3 plastic disposable containers. Then I checked the graham crackers and I had exactly enough to make 3 desserts. Coincidence? I think not. I made chocolate + vanilla pudding and layered them between graham crackers. Then I taped a note onto each one of them and left them at my neighbors' doors. The next morning, one of my neighbors came and taped a thank you card onto our door. He was trying to be sneaky, but I saw him do it! It felt kind of like a game and it made me smile. :)
This past Monday, I went to the grocery store and I only had $20 for this whole week's worth of groceries. I arrived at the store and prayed, "Lord, could you somehow multiply this money?" I started my shopping and arrived at the yogurt. There was yogurt on sale and there was one container left of a flavor that I liked! I said, "Thank you, Lord." Then I went to the jam and there was jam on sale! I said, "Thank you, Lord." Then I went to the juice and they had 1-litre juices on sale for $1. The shelf was completely empty and I was disappointed. I knew that Jared had really been looking forward to having orange juice and there were none left. I looked at all the other juices and nothing else was on sale. Suddenly, I saw one carton of orange juice on completely the wrong shelf sitting all by itself. I couldn't believe that nobody else had seen it and snatched it up! It was totally a gift from the Lord! I got to the check-out and I even had some money left over! God may not have physically multiplied my money, but I got almost my whole list on sale and had some money left over, so that was an answer to prayer! "Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows." James 1:17
Wednesday, February 3, 2010
Expired Milk + Grocery Shopping
Posted by Elleah at 12:45 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Elleah, I say "THANKYOU LORD" for giving us 2 beautiful daughters that have a living relationship with their Heavenly Father. Thankyou Lord that they are experiencing Your provision as well! Thankyou Lord for giving Elleah a heart for people who are lost. Keep praying and being obedient!! Love you.
Cool stories! I love what you did with that milk! Great idea, great witness!
I love how God is there even for the little things!!
Those are great stories Elleah! Very encouraging!
AWESOME, I like reading your blog! God is good and He can do more than we can imagine. Allison
Post a Comment